Small Steps Early Childhood Blog

Welcome to Small Steps Early Childhood Blog. Visit as many times as you want.

Friday, July 13, 2012


(Week 2) Blog: My Family Culture

It is one of the biggest life-changing  moments for me to say goodbye to my hometown of Richmond, Virginia. I have to live 1 day at a time and continue my identity formation in Mexico.  I will be taking 3 valuable items that represent my family culture. They include a photo of my immediate family: My father, mother, sister, brother and myself. This photo was taken in front of our 3 bedroom home. The other two items include a blanket that was knitted by my grandfather. This blanket has the American flag colored into the cloth material. The other item that I will carry is the Holy Bible. I have read every chapter and verse in the Bible. The Bible gives me guidance in how to make good decisions and treat others in any situation.

I would explain to the residents in Mexico that my family photo is a representation of how close and inseparable my family was before and after the catastrophic event. I would tell the Mexico residents that my blanket is a constant reminder of the freedoms and opportunities that Americans have in the United States of America. This includes the options for everyone to get an education, start a business and vote. I would explain to the Mexico residents that my Bible is my sanctuary, guide and reference to peace. The people in the Mexican culture will know that My Bible is a way for me to learn how to serve God!

If I was told that I could only  keep 1 item, I would keep my Bible because it gives me inspiration to live each day as if it were my last. When I am feeling depressed, I can always refer to my Bible  for healing and spiritual guidance. I would feel overwhelmed to have to give away the other 2 items because they shape who I am as a family member and citizen.

As a result of this exercise, I am very excited to learn the languages that Mexican residents speak, the favorite foods that we share in common and their religious practices. This journey of diversity will be life-changing, inspiring and educational!

No comments:

Post a Comment