Small Steps Early Childhood Blog

Welcome to Small Steps Early Childhood Blog. Visit as many times as you want.

Saturday, August 11, 2012


Blog: Welcoming Families From Around the World

I am working at Little Leaders Child Development Center. The staff is welcoming a 5 year old girl named Phongpip  from Thailand. This is the first family that I’ve met emigrating from Thailand. There are several ways that I can be culturally responsive to this family!

1.      I’ve learned that this family speaks the primary language of Thai. As an early childhood professional, it is essential that I support the family’s native language. I will have lots of fun learning basic Thai greetings such as

Hello/Good Morning: sawasdee krup(male) Kaa(female)

Goodbye: la gon

Thank You: Kop Koon (krup/kaa).

2.      I’ve learned that the family loves serving spicy food to their children and we will be providing meals such as rice and stews called curries.

3.      I was informed that the family likes playing a popular sport called Takrow. The early childhood professionals will introduce this sport to all of the students. This is how we will play: the players will try to keep a ball made of ratton (woven palm stems) in the air by using their heads, legs, and feet.

4.      Phongpip’s parents wanted everyone in the child development center to know that her favorite song is the Bollywood Dance. We will celebrate Thailand’s culture by playing this song once each week.

5.      As an early childhood professional, I will allow Phongpip’s parents and family to do additional  projects sharing their family history, culture and values with others.



These preparations will help build strong teacher-parent partnerships and will allow the early childhood professional to learn more about the family’s deep culture. It is essential for me to support this family and other diverse families so that I can enrich the quality of education for all!


3 comments:

  1. You have some really good ideas on ways to integrate your student's culture into your classroom. I especially like the idea of having her family come in and share their history and culture! This will also help the family to feel accepted and part of the educational process. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffiney,
    I enjoyed reading about the special things you will be doing to welcome Phongpip into your classroom. I think incorporating the food and game will really help her feel at home. I was not familiar with the customs you shared. You have expanded my knowledge about Thailand.
    Thank you.
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffiney,

    I like the ways in which you and your early childhood center is welcoming Phongpip, her family and her culture in your program. All of your examples sound fun and help embrace Phongpip's family and culture, especially by incorporating some personal things that she enjoys.

    I hope you all enjoy!

    ReplyDelete