Small Steps Early Childhood Blog

Welcome to Small Steps Early Childhood Blog. Visit as many times as you want.

Saturday, March 16, 2013


Week 2: Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels

The Richmond Early Childhood Association is a local organization that gives resources to families, early childhood educators, and the community. This organization appealed to me because it holds events that allow teachers more time to incorporate professional development into their careers. For example, Naeyc’s National Institute will be held on June 9- June 12 of 2013.

The Early Childhood Music Association is an organization that promotes unity and learning among children through the diverse sounds of music. This is an excellent resource that teachers can use to teach children about the different sounds around the world.

Virginia’s Office of Early Childhood Development is an organization that focuses on providing quality resources and materials that will benefit Virginia families in the process of transitioning children to enter kindergarten.

One job opportunity that I am interested in exploring is being a childcare provider. I really enjoy working with children from birth to 6 years old. Another job opportunity that captures my interest is being a preschool teacher. A child’s early years are crucial to his/her social, emotional, intellectual and physical development. Young children imitate the behaviors they see in adults. I feel that I can make the biggest impact on very young children. An additional job opportunity that I’d love to fulfill is a Childcare Director. It’s really fun to work with children, families and teachers. It gets more exciting to be able to plan the curriculum and decide what age-appropiate activities to use for learning and development!

There are specific skills and experiences needed to competently fulfill each of these roles. Safety is the most important service that an early childhood professional can provide. Having first-aid and CPR certification is a requirement. Possessing effective communication skills by maintaining strong teacher-family partnerships will maximize each child’s learning experiences. Anyone who is considering working with children should have lots of patience and consideration for the differences in behaviors, cultures, and abilities.

5 comments:

  1. There are good reasons to pick each of the positions in which you professed and interest. I do think that, given your love of children, you might most enjoy a center-director or center assistant-director job. You will be able to interact with many families and children...
    The job of assistant director was one of my favorite jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greg! I totally agree. I would really love to open and operate my own child daycare business from home and grow into a facility over time.

      Delete
  2. During your MSECS program, do you think you've gained the skills and experiences necessary to fulfill your dream job?
    ~Dr. Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost feel over-qualified, but I could never learn enough. One of the most important things I've learned is recognizing and celebrating the differences that each child and family bring into the classroom. I also enjoyed learning about social identities and am reflecting on the many ways to help children feel great about who they are!

      Delete
    2. Honestly, I really do have a lot of growing to do. With the help of my professor and colleagues, this is possible.

      Delete