Small Steps Early Childhood Blog

Welcome to Small Steps Early Childhood Blog. Visit as many times as you want.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Week 2: Observing Communication on Television

I chose to watch a reality show called The Bad Girls Club for the first time. While watching the muted episode, I thought the girls were family members getting into physical altercations about something sensitive. Based on the nonverbal behavior that I observed, these girls were expressing anger toward each other. The scene was chaotic. I made the assumption that these girls were wild, rude and lacking in self control. I think my assumptions would have been correct and incorrect if I had been watching a show that I knew well. It would depend on the individuals that are being observed. After watching the episode twice, I have the clear understanding that violence is the worst form of communication. Patience, respect and consideration for others will help me to be a more effective communicator!

4 comments:

  1. Tiffiney,
    Thank you for this post! Violence, which stems from anger, is truly “the worst form of communication”. If we really want to communicate effectively, we need to be patient with, and considerate of our listeners. Your post is almost like mine because I posted on anger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TIffaney,
    You are so correct. Violence is not an effective form of communication. It speaks volumes but we often don't know the reason for the violence. What an ineffective strategy and waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tiffiney,

    I too agree that violence is the worst form of communication. It is sad that violence usually occurs as a result of ineffective communication or misunderstandings. If individuals take the time to effectively express themselves, and hear others we can subdue violence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffiney,
    Our nonverbal skills are just as important as our verbal skills. The child who has a hearing problem has those skills to rely on when they communicate with their peers or their teachers. It was pretty easy to pick up the plot ant what was going on with the actors/actresses based on their body movements and facial expressions.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete