Small Steps Early Childhood Blog

Welcome to Small Steps Early Childhood Blog. Visit as many times as you want.

Thursday, September 20, 2012



Week 3: Effective Strategies for Communicating Across Cultures

 

I find myself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures. Sometimes I find myself being passive to avoid saying anything that may be offensive to the other person.  I tend to be more attentive.

1.      I think it is essential to develop active listening skills to understand what is being said.

2.       I am more patient and curious to learn more about the person’s language, religion, parenting style, musical selections and childhood.

3.      I avoid using any type of slang or jokes that can be interpreted as offensive. I don’t allow any prejudice and stereotypes to interfere with my communication. I treat each person as an individual by applying the golden rule.

These things are important because there is an increasing amount of diversity in our schools, neighborhoods, families and workplace.  The main goal is to help others feel valued, respected and loved through meaningful relationships!

4 comments:

  1. Tiffiney,
    Our listening skills are so important as being a part of how we communicate with others. We have to be able to read their behaviors through nonverbal cues such as body language and facial expression.
    I can attest to what you said about using slang or jokes that can be offensive. My language is more laid back with my family then it would be if I were talking to my instructor. There are words are even more calmer and simple as I talk to my nephew who is just four years old.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffiney,

    You bring up some very good points in order to be a good communicator we all need to become good listeners. Being a good listener goes beyond simple listening to the words being said but tone,posture and non-verbal ques.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffiney,
    Yes, diversity is on daily increase worldwide and the need to help others feel valued is paramount. This is what we must inculcate in the children from an early stage of life in order to have effective communication that culminates in meaningful relationships. Nice post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffiney,

    Great Post!!! You make some very useful, and helpful suggestions that will surely aide in communicating with people from diverse groups and backgrounds. Many people do not understand that being a good listener is probably the most crucial part of effective communication.

    ReplyDelete