Small Steps Early Childhood Blog

Welcome to Small Steps Early Childhood Blog. Visit as many times as you want.

Friday, February 8, 2013


Week 5: Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice

As an early childhood professional who will be teaching preschool, it is essential to raise awareness and implement effective strategies and resources that will address the various –isms that people will face in their lifetime. As a woman who has faced sexism, I am reflecting on the   comments others have made toward me. The following include

o   You would make a good cook…. you should stay in the kitchen and have my dinner made when I get home.

o   Hey…Let me bring home the money….You should be taking care of the kids while I work.

o   Most of the time, a child will respond better to a male’s voice during disciplinary procedures…I don’t think teaching is the best place for you.
Surprisingly, these comments were made by a family member. Believing these comments can make one feel powerless. However, I will use this as a teachable moment during my interactions with children and families. For example, I worked with a 2nd grade student named Lindsey who stated that she dreamed of fixing cars but repeated that her dad thought it would be too dangerous because she could get hurt.  I want to be a good role model by sending out the message that children can accomplish any respectable goal/dream if they believe it. I will teach and show picture books, film-strips and movies to children that demonstrate female workers performing well in occupations like construction and heavy equipment operating. By doing this, I may be able to dispel the stereotype of men being the breadwinners.
 

 
 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffiney,

    I think you did a wonderful job on sending out messages that children can any respectable dream if they bbelieve it. I like they way that you included visuals showing women in occupations including constructions and officers. It is important that children do not get caught up in stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tiffiney,
    I liked your photos as well because they do portray women working in jobs that used to be considered more "manly."I always tell my students they can be anything they want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffiney,

    I think that sexism in the workplace is something early childhood professionals should work to dispel. I think it is a good idea to show women can do well in jobs that have historically been considered masculine and also show men can do well in jobs that have historically been considered feminine. Then I think children will truly see that they can do well in jobs they want to despite any differences of sex or gender.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tiffiney
    I enjoyed your post and the pictures. Your blog was very detailed and informative on preschool and sexism. I beleive that these issues need to be discussed so as educators we will be able to deal with them. It is important that children know that jobs and careers should not be labeled, but they all should have the opportunity to do what they choose and inspires them in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiffiney, although the statements made towards you are definitely good examples of sexism, it is still good that you experienced something like this so you could turn it into a teachable moment. Taking the the bias out of each statement would open a new outlook that anyone, regardless of gender, can cook, clean, help take care of responsibilities, and so on. Thanks for sharing your story and insight!

    ReplyDelete