Small Steps Early Childhood Blog

Welcome to Small Steps Early Childhood Blog. Visit as many times as you want.

Saturday, February 23, 2013


Week 7: Impacts on Early Emotional Development

It is a fact that many challenges can negatively affect a child’s emotional development. I chose to investigate the West and Central Africa region. Some of the challenges that affect children in this region include malaria, diarrhea related diseases, and vaccine preventable diseases like measles (UNICEF, 2011). Malnutrition is also common in this region. I also learned that some children are sexually and physically abused.

If a child is stricken with these types of diseases and continues living without treatment, it would be very difficult for them to attend school on a regular basis or concentrate on learning basic skills like reading comprehension and arithmetic. Further, the child may not feel enthusiastic about socializing with other children in a positive way due to the pain of not being treated for these diseases.

After learning about these challenges and reflecting on the impacts they have on children, I am more appreciative of the country that I live in. I also think about the silly things that I sometimes complain about. Some of these problems exist in the U.S., but may not be as common as they are in other parts of the world.

While learning these devastating facts about children in West and Central Africa, I began thinking about ways that I could help to make a difference in the life of at least 1 child. Eight of my friends from undergrad and I are in the early stages of  holding a charity event in which any amount of money will be accepted and will be equally divided and forwarded to the children in the 8 regions. Accepting any amount of money is sending the message to everyone that they can make a difference in the life of a child(ren).

It is rewarding to know that we can all unite and help in some way. We owe this to the children and families that we are passionate to serve in and outside of our communities.

References

UNICEF (2011). Retrieved from: http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/index.html

4 comments:

  1. Tiffiney,


    I can see that children in the Western and Central regions of Africa may lack positive attitudes to interact with others and play with curiosity because of lacking health and a sense of security to a place where they live.


    I like the idea of trying to make a difference even if it is a small one. When the big earth quake occurred in Japan, I donated $40. But I heard some people hold a charity garage sale and donated the profits. I thought it was very smart. I think we can do things that help people in trouble a lot by thinking well without over-sacrificing ourselves since if many people get involved those small efforts add up very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tiffiney,
    What a wonderful idea to do this for a region that is struggling with so many diseases and other issues. Our problems seem so small compared to what others suffer in underdeveloped countries. I wish you much success with your event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Tiffiney,

    I really enjoyed reading your post. The information was sadden but the facts were true. Learning this type of information always make you want to find solutions to the problems in other areas that also are problems in this area as well.

    Thanks for the blog,

    Erica Hines

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffiney, I agree that I am thankful for living in the United States and honestly not knowing what it means to worry about the bare necessities needed to live what is considered a typical lifestyle. While my heart breaks for what is going on around the world, it also sparks an interest to do deeper research and find ways that I can help both those around the world, but also those that live in our country that experience some of the same turmoil. Thanks for sharing your insight!

    ReplyDelete