Small Steps Early Childhood Blog

Welcome to Small Steps Early Childhood Blog. Visit as many times as you want.

Saturday, February 16, 2013


Week 6: The Sexualization of Early Childhood

In today’s society, boys and girls are receiving all kinds of messages related to sex through the media. I was working with students from a 2nd grade class. Seven year-old Tamera arrived and politely put her belongings in the cubby. As she emerged from the closet, she was wearing some large hooped earrings. Her classmate Mitchell asked Tamera why she was wearing those big circles in her ear. Tamera shouted “This is how I can get a boyfriend and have a baby….I can get my sexy back…I get it from my mama.” When I heard that phrase, I was unsure of how to react. Could she have been modeling her mom’s behavior? It’s interesting how we sometimes think children aren’t really paying attention to the things we say or do.

Six year-old Corsica and Shane were clapping and singing cheers on the playground. Corsica sings “My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard” as she sticks her bottom out and continues shaking from side to side. After asking her about where she’d heard the song, she explained a popular music video that comes on the music channel every week. She also explained that if she wore tight pants like the singer in the video, she would get more friends to like her.

Eight year old Kaylee asked her classmate Josh “What does it mean to knock someone up?” Josh said “I don’t know” and continued reading his book about glaciers.

If young children are exposed to sexualized content, this may negatively affect their development because they will unintentionally say the wrong things which can upset peers, parents and others. Further, children can watch something on television and believe it’s real or acceptable to imitate sexual behavior.

As I heard some of these comments, I found it extremely challenging to respond to. I think it’s very important to tell children to ‘not believe’ or imitate everything that they see on television. It is also essential for them to understand that they don’t have to look like someone else to be accepted.

4 comments:

  1. Tiffiney,

    Thinking about this topic made me realize that we need to teach children that the most important part of us is inside or how we interact with others. It is not our appearance or how we look. I think people in my age learned it naturally from adults, books and media since this was so fundamental. However, I believe that teachers need to raise voice for it so that other children do not mislead children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have raised 3 boys and have tried to teach them how to respect women despite what they are seeing and hearing on television. So far I have been successful because my son who is dating is very respectful of his girlfriend. My husband contributes some of it to the the fact that he has grown up with parents who are in a committed marriage and are respectful of each other. With the things I am seeing and hearing in the media I am scared for my daughter. Her brothers are very watchful of her and what she does and who she hangs out with but eventually she will be the only one left and they can only protect her so much. It is not that I am scared of what she might learn but what young men out there are learning from families with different values or lack of values. Society has certainly changed from when I was a teenager and to think our parents were worried about what we were learning. I had to tell my mom that compared to what is out there now she had nothing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tiffiney

    I was not suprised by your answers. Children these days say whatever they feel. Media, in my opinion can have a negative outcome. I think that some of these negative thoughts can be eliminated if we would monitor the music and television programs that our children watch. Parents brag when they see their young children dance sexy, but do not realize that it can lead to something else as they grow older.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tiffiney,

    I agree, it is not surprising as to what children see or hear now a day. Our children are exposed to so much especially in the media,family and other peers.

    Erica Hines

    ReplyDelete